Please don't call me cheesy, but I am going to attempt to do some predictions for the year 2012 - like so many others.
- 2012 will not be the year of the Linux desktop. We're already there, but nobody noticed.
- The patent war will escalate even further and continue to halt innovation.
- Apple will release its first device without Steve Jobs. It will receive mixed reviews.
- Google+ becomes the new Facebook - except the old Facebook will still be there.
- Buddycloud will see its first public release and pave a way for distributed social networks
- Google will reveal that Google+ is in fact a federated social network through XMPP
- Twitter will be shaken with a privacy scandal that forces its users to reconsider.
- Windows Phone 7 will continue to lack adoption, compared to Android and iPhone
- Steve Ballmer will be fired.
- Stephen Elop will be fired. (maybe just wishful thinking)
- Energy Storage breakthrough will see the light of day.
That's all I can think of - I will review this next year and we can see if anything held up..